PTFE has been accidentally discovered by Roy Plunkett in 1938 in a TFE occult bomb; it has suddenly noted for its high resistance to the most aggressive chemical agents. Dupont has firstly produced it for the USA ARMY engaged in the equipment of the first atomic bomb.
Due to its remarkable characteristics, PTFE is one of the most used materials in technical field; the most important features are:
- its complete insolubility in water and in any other organic solvent;
- excellent dielectric properties;
- excellent fire resistance :it doesn’t spread the flame;
- excellent property of smoothness with a very low friction coefficient ;
- anti-adhesion : its surface cannot be sticked ;
These are some of the most important technical properties of PTFE; they become more important if you consider that they don’t change in a temperature range between – 200 °c and +250°c.
To improve its excellent features, pls consider that we can add special fillers which modify Its aspect, its mechanical, electric and physical properties (elongation, tensile strength).